Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Fall

It’s been over a week now since we moved into our new place. Unfortunately, I am not as happy about being here, as I was initially, for several reasons:

Our landlady has been out of town for almost the entire week. She was initially supposed to be back on Friday, which changed to Monday, and the current status is “most likely Monday, maybe Tuesday”. As each day passes, I am getting more and more annoyed/miserable with the constant delay of much needed home improvements – Thanks to Azadeh reading Steven Covey’s “The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People”, I get reminded that the main cause of my issues – the landlord being out of town - is currently within my circle of concern, but not within my circle of influence. Therefore, it is pointless for me to get upset.

(Mom, skip this paragraph!) My main concern is security. Besides the small fact that our front door is falling apart (may actually be a security feature, except that we’re not able to go in and out without the help of a screwdriver), we don’t have burglar bars, and we don’t have a guard that watches the gate to the property. The “guard” that we do have supposedly hangs out at the other end of the property by the catering kitchen. In other words, anyone could walk on to the property at night, and easily break our windows and …

The one “security feature” that we do have is my second big concern at the same time. Other than the fact that it’s too sweet, it is pretty annoying at the wrong time. Introducing: “Pretty" - The dog”. Although I enjoy playing with her, I don’t enjoy that she woke me up four nights in a row at almost the same time each night – 3:30 am. I suspect that this is the time the bakers come in to prepare their goodies, and the dog wants to ensure that everybody is aware of the fact that someone is on property.

Another concern is the fact that we still don’t have many of the items that we were originally promised: kettle, microwave, coffee table, night stands, Satellite TV,... (wonder which one is the most important...)

The final “house issue” makes me feel mad, sad, powerful and humble all at the same time. We pulled a Donald Trump and fired our maids due to “hygienic reasons”. So now, we’re doing our own cleaning and our own laundry.

With a small and leaky sink, dishes can be hard to wash, but my main cause of distress is laundry. The fact that we have a “manual” washing machine is actually great, given that most places don’t have washing machines at all. However, a side effect that is not so great is that every time we do laundry, at least a gallon of water covers the kitchen floor, and cleaning that up is not fun. The reason: the sink leaks and the washing machine leaks. Additionally, once the clothes are dry, they have to be ironed, and ironed well, because there is a type of fly here that causes “issues”. More on those issues upon request, as this blog is negative enough, but fyi, I “extremely dislike” ironing – yet another cause of distress but not one that I currently have influence over… for now... Our friends have a “good maid" that we may hire once a week to help us… under supervision of course.

Enough for this post. Enjoy the pictures below, and be happy!


"What did you say? There's too much traffic, I can't hear you!!"

.
.
.
.
.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment