Monday, May 11, 2009

The Recovery

Overall, last week was a good week, even though it started off harsh.

Housing – The last paragraph (hopefully)

Due to a “short circuit” we lost electricity every 20 minutes early in the week, and the main switch (in the landlord’s house) had to be reset. It took the electricians a couple of days (remember, we’re in Zambia) to figure it out, but they did it. As a result of their “research” our home is now featuring two holes in the ceiling of the living room and we have some brown mass stretching from the main fuse box to the ceiling, but those are only cosmetic issues at this point. We have been promised that they will be resolved as of last Friday (so I estimate that it will take about two more weeks). On the positive side, we have finally received most of the furnishings that were promised, and we actually paid rent. We’re still missing burglar bars, a functional front door, and night stands, but I am starting - slowly - to feel better about staying here.

Go Barca!! – The Cake

The Premier League is absolutely huge here – for those of you who don’t know, it’s the British Soccer League. I am watching Chelsea beat Arsenal as I’m writing this post, and previously I visited an Irish pub to watch Manchester United beat Manchester City.

ManU has the biggest following by far around here, but most of my co-workers are huge Chelsea fans. Often they wear blue jerseys on Fridays, and even drink their coffee in Chelsea mugs. Given this situation, I decided to cheer for Barcelona during the recent Semi-Final of the Champions League. Sure enough, Barcelona won – I don’t want to get into the details of the game, but I’ll share that in my opinion the referee of the second leg should be barred for life. The morning after, I went to the local Spar (supermarket), bought a cake and asked the baker to write “Go Barca!!” on it. Wearing red and blue I took the cake to work, where we had several discussions, while enjoying the cake. Even PCI’s country director stopped by to enjoy the “celebration”.

Safaris Coming Up

We have planned two trips. One of them will be a day trip to a place called Chaminuka, which is less than an hour away from home. The second trip will be to South Luangwa, where we plan on going on 4 “game drives”. We tried to secure the trip yesterday, but it is now in jeopardy, because the travel agency that helped us had lost power and we could not book our tickets.

Enjoy the pictures below.

P.S.: I’ll take full credit for Azadeh’s new look! How do you like it? :)
















No comments:

Post a Comment